Title: Project Director, Why Marriage Matters Arizona
Program Overview: Why Marriage Matters Arizona is a grassroots public education campaign to build support for the freedom to marry in Arizona. This newly formed program will work with Arizona community groups, businesses, congregations and opinion leaders to generate public dialogue and understanding of why marriage matters to committed same-sex couples. This project was founded by Equality Arizona, ACLU Foundation of Arizona, Freedom to Marry and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation with the support and leadership of Arizona businesses, clergy and community organizations.
Position Overview: The Project Director leads the Why Marriage Matters Arizona education campaign, overseeing staff, designing and implementing educational programs, building the coalition and raising money. This is the first position hired for the program; the Project Director will hire and oversee additional staff and/or consultants, growing a statewide team.
- Draft and implement education campaign plan with oversight from the Board of Directors.
- Oversee all aspects of statewide public education campaign, including fundraising, communications, media, field organizing, coalition building and administration.
- Develop and oversee fundraising plan, identify major donor prospects and solicit major gifts, write grant proposals, etc.
- Hire and supervise paid staff and coordinate use of donated organizational staff; manage all contracts with outside vendors and consultants.
- Work with volunteers and volunteer leaders to advance the program’s mission.
- Broaden the coalition for marriage, including among right-of-center leaders and organizations, clergy and religious organizations and businesses.
- Participate in all Board meetings/calls and subcommittee meetings as needed, and provide regular, comprehensive updates on campaign activities.
- Work with legal advisors to ensure full compliance with federal/state/local laws and ordinances, and supervise internal campaign administration.
- Oversee management of digital communications channels; list and database development, management and usage.
- 5+ years experience in campaigns, organizing or advocacy, and concrete experience in fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Experience building and supervising diverse and highly motivated staff teams.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours and at a very fast pace; regular travel in Arizona.
- Experience working with coalitions, including developing shared work plans, directing volunteers, coordinating internal and external communications and understanding internal dynamics among partner groups.
- Demonstrated experience working with right-of-center organizations and opinion leaders.
- Knowledge of Arizona political landscape and players preferred.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Generous, comprehensive health benefits included.
To apply: Send resume, cover letter and names and contact information for three references to jobs@WhyMarriageMattersArizona.org. Applications will be reviewed and interviews conducted on a rolling basis.